Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Canadian Cheese Supper Ring

"Could be Canada's spotlight quick bread - combination of her native products"

Yummy in my tummy!

I'm more of a savory kind of girl, so for me, this works. At first I wasn't too sure about the addition of curry in the recipe, but it turned out well. I don't really know if you need to add it though, since I'm not 100% sure I can even taste it with the 'nippy cheese', but I like how it coloured the dough.

On that note,  I cheated a wee bit on the recipe.

My cheese wasn't super 'nippy'. All I had was a blend of pre-shredded cheese (Mozza and Cheddar) that I had in the freezer. So, I sprinkled a few chili flakes along with a tiny amount (1/4 tsp or less) of chili powder onto the cheese ... and I used butter instead of shortening. Hey now! I'm moving! My house is a mess and I don't want to buy more ingredients.

My verdict: It was yummy, easy, and attractive looking.

I'm going to add this recipe as a 'Keeper', I can imagine the possibilities with pizza fixings or cooked chicken and feta perhaps. Mmmmmm. I wouldn't be embarrassed to serve it to guests.

Lets get started and gather up the ingredients!

Add the 3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp curry powder to 2 cups sifted Robin Hood flour (It is a Robin Hood flour recipe after all). The recipe says to sift it all together, but I just stirred it with a fork. Haha, I'm lazy that way when making simple biscuits and things.


Add the butter (shortening) and blend in with a pastry blender or knives. I just used my fingertips. Blend in until mealy (grainy) feeling.

Add in the milk and stir gently with a fork until blended. It was a bit sticky at this point for me, so I dumped it out onto a floured surface.


After sprinkling the top with flour, pat down into a rectangle shape about 1/3 inch thick.  The directions mention adding the cheese, rolling and then moving to a baking sheet, but for me, it seemed more stable putting the dough on the greased cookie sheet first.


Sprinkle with cheese (optional chili flakes and a bit of chili powder).


Roll along the long end, like a jelly roll. Join the ends together in a circle. I stuck one side into the other so that the cheese mix was a bit more evenly distributed otherwise, the joining section would have more dough and less cheese. If that odd sentence makes any sense!


Cut the dough, every 2 inches around the outside, leaving the dough intact along the inner edge.


Once cut, gently twist each section on its side.


And bake, 450 F for 15 - 20 minutes....and...wait for it... Voila!

Canadian Cheese Supper Ring
Robin Hood Flour Cookbook 1947 - 1953  (pg 49)

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups sifted Robin Hood flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp curry powder
  • 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 2/3 cup 'nippy' cheese


DIRECTIONS
  1. Grease large cookie sheet.
  2. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and curry.
  3. Cut shortening (butter) in to small pieces and add to dry ingredients.
  4. Blend together until mixture is mealy, using pastry blender (or two knives, cutting in a scissor-like motion).
  5. Gradually add the milk, stirring lightly with a fork.  Mix only until a soft dough is formed.
  6. Turn on to lightly floured bakeboard or pastry cloth and knead gently for 10 seconds.
  7. Gently roll out with floured rolling pin or pat out with hand to 1/3 inch thickness to form rectangle.
  8. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over rectangle.
  9. Roll up like a jelly roll.
  10. Place on greased cookie sheet and join ends to form a circle.
  11. With floured scissors, cut roll in sections about 2 inches apart cutting from the outside of the ring two-thirds of the way towards the centre.
  12. Twist each slice slightly on its side so that one cut surface is toward the cookie sheet.
  13. Bake at 450 F  (very hot oven) for 15 - 20 minutes.
  14. Serve hot
Note: Makes a nice accompaniment for a supper salad. Good with butter and jam.


1 comment: