Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A break in the weather

It's been 2 weeks since I've last made anything.  In my defense, it's summer, it's warm in the house, and it's HOT HOT HOT outside! Beautiful and amazing actually. My poor friends in Toronto have had mostly rainy cold weather lately, but for the last month it's been 30+ degrees here. Heck...one day it said 41!  40 Freakin 1 degrees! That is crazy talk! 

Since I haven't been baking or cooking, I figured I'd at least explain (in photos) how I've been spending my time.  I loooOOOOve the heat!
Columbia River
Fishing!
Fishing! I love fishing. It is one of the most relaxing things. I've mostly trolled from a boat, so it's a whole new experience casting from shore.

The Springs Golf Course
Golfing!
My sister and I took golf lessons (thanks Sis!), so we went golfing one evening. The mountain view is amazing. The pic above is a mid range OK view, there are so many even more beautiful views there.

The Old Coach Trail
Hiking!
Hiking! There are a so many places to hike and every one of them has spectacular views.  It wasn't so odd coming across a cross, but...seeing an empty hole beside it was CREEPY!

Ana White Door Spice Rack
Building things!
I love the Ana White website. She has plans for everything from beginner to experienced.  My sister was in serious need of some extra cupboard space, so I decided to build the behind the door spice rack. I think it turned out great for the first time making anything.  Dowels....dowels look perfectly straight in the store...but not when used. That's what I've learned making this :)  Next up is the beer cooler outdoor table and the outdoor sofa.  Pssst, the behind the door spice rack is full now :)

Wet N Wild White Water Rafting on the Kicking Horse
Let's all stay in the boat!
White water rafting down the Kicking Horse.  We did the upper and lower canyon which went from easy to class IV rapids. It was so much fun!  In the picture above, I'm the the one sinking in to the water on the top right. It happens so fast over the rapids and you get splashed with so much cold water (3 degrees Celsius) that you have no time to worry.

Wet N Wild White Water Rafting on the Kicking Horse
White Water rafting!
I chose the seat in the front on the right (passenger side if you are driving a car in Canada!). It was the WETTEST spot to be. At first it felt a bit unstable and like I would fall out of the boat, but after a few rapids, I got my river legs :)

The scariest part of the day was jumping out of the boat (on purpose) to float down the rapids. Well..it's not floating, it's a no control fast trip through crashing waves. I was fine until I met up with our boat. The most claustrophobic scariest thing ever is the feeling of being pulled under the boat with the rapids crashing all over your head so you can't breathe!  But...having done it once badly...I want to try again!

The heat has caused a few forest fires both north and south of where I am, so the valley gets a bit smokey and looks hazy all the time, but it's still been a wonderful summer to be outside. I don't want to waste any of it - winter will be here soon enough.



I do have plans to do some baking - whole wheat tea biscuits from the Purity cookbook - but I need to make a run to the store to get some milk first :)

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer too :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment