Friday, November 28, 2014

Chicken and Broccoli Impossible Pie

I have a hard time with making non baked goods. It's not that I don't want to make other items, it's just that I rarely eat meat or packaged food, nor do I want to store/freeze extra food each time I want to test out a recipe in a cookbook - baked goods are easy to pawn of.

Impossibly, I pawned this Pie off on my mom for her dinner tonight. :)

Chicken & Broccoli Impossible Pie

Most of the things I eat are made from scratch, if possible, although I do admit to eating a lot of packaged soup lately... Campbell's Everyday Gourmet Tomato Basil is my newest favourite soup. It comes in a box and is just yummy.

The Chicken and Broccoli Impossible Pie is a handwritten recipe my mom wrote in the back of a cookbook. I don't know where she got it from originally, but it could be from the back of the Bisquick box. They have a similar recipe on the back of the box but the ingredients amounts are a bit different, so perhaps they have revised it since my mom copied it out.

The ingredients are pretty basic and easy to put together. I HATE onions, just really hate them more that I can even write about, so I traded them out for mushrooms. Hahaha, which I also hate, but not as much as the dreaded onion :) I also chose to use fresh broccoli instead of frozen. I weighed it and 300g is about 4 cups of fresh chopped.


Mix the chicken, broccoli, mushrooms (or dreaded onions), and 2 cups of the cheese together in a pie plate. It should be a deeper dish pie plate and not a low sided thing.


Mix the mix, eggs, salt, pepper, and Bisquick together and pour over the chicken and broccoli.


Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until a knife inserted into the pie comes out clean.


Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake for another 1 - 2 minutes. 


There you go. Impossible to believe that I will never make this again, I know :) But it's really not my kind of food. It really needs something to kick up the flavour besides the salt and pepper. Maybe some fresh herbs. It's not horrible, but I found it a bit bland.

Chicken & Broccoli Impossible Pie

INGREDIENTS
  • 300 g package frozen chopped broccoli
  • 3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 1/2 cup cooked chicken
  • 2/3 cup chopped onions
  • 1 1/3 cup milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup Bisquick mix
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oven to 400 F
  2. Grease pie plate
  3. Mix broccoli, 2 cups of cheese, chicken, and onions in the pie plate'
  4. Blend eggs, milk, bisquick, salt, and pepper together until smooth.
  5. Pour into pie plate.
  6. Bake until knife comes clean 30 - 40 mins.
  7. Top with remaining cheese.
  8. Bake until cheese is melted 1 - 2 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment