Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Potato Carrot Mold with Tomato Sauce

Happy New Year!  I wish you all the love that can fill your heart, laughter that makes you pee your pants, and happiness that causes your cheeks to hurt!

The holidays are mostly over, I say mostly because I still have my Christmas tree up :) Who knows, I might keep it up until the snow melts!

I had a nice quiet dinner with my mom on Christmas day. We had Turkey and all the fixings. It was nice. I didn't know what to get her - there isn't much a person with terminal cancer needs except a miracle and more time, neither of which I can provide. My sister had a good suggestion, so I went with all the Christmas treats my mom loves (sardines, oysters, crackers, roasted nuts, etc) and put them all together in a gift tray. She seemed to like it :)

I worked between Christmas and New Years and I spent a bit more time crocheting. I'm addicted to it lately. I feel so old! haha - but I did make and sell 2 hats and a doggie jacket without trying and sent off 2 hats/2 headbands to Ontario. Seriously...I need a life ;)


Now, knowing I have no life, I decided it was time to make something from the cookbooks that was simple and would get me back to the crochet hook quicker. Just kidding...haha, I had a lot of potatoes to get rid of.

At first I figured I would just make the Potato and Carrot mold, foregoing the tomato sauce since it sounds like an odd combination, but really, the potatoes and carrots mashed together are just that, mashed carrots and potatoes and nothing special. But YUM, perhaps I just had a craving for tomatoes or something, but it was SO GOOD with the potatoes and carrots. I couldn't stop eating it! YUM YUM YUM.  I think this is my new way of eating mashed carrots/potatoes! It may not look all that appetizing, but it filled my tummy with love :)

Potato Carrot Mold with Tomato Sauce

I didn't follow the tomato sauce recipe listed below since I didn't have any canned tomatoes, but I did have a can of tomato sauce (not to be confused with pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, or tomato paste). I sauteed some garlic and then added it with onion flakes, salt and pepper to the sauce. It was simple and lovely.

Carrots and Potatoes

The recipe calls for 3 medium carrots and 3 medium potatoes. Argg, I hate that. It's so arbitrary and I have no idea what the average medium potato/carrot size was n 1950's. I don't even know what the average is in 2015! So, best guess as shown above. 


I chopped them up nicely and boiled them in salted water until tender. They do look pretty sitting in the pot ready to go :)


I gave away my hand mixer to a guy I dated last year...didn't work out, move on, so I was left with the options of using my kitchenaid (umm...no) or unpacking my food processor (umm...no), so the immersion blender was the only other choice...and I'm happy to say that it works wonderfully for this!

If you don't know the average medium carrot and potato size in 1950, you may want to add more or less warm milk to the mixture as you blend. I added the cup full and it was a bit too much, but really, it only changed the consistency, not the flavour.


I put the mix in two casserole dishes to bake. They came out of the oven looking the same as they went in. There was no browning on top. Possibly due to the extra milk.

Potato Carrot mold
Ready for oven
Potato Carrot mold
Out of Oven
It's not the most appetizing of foods with the tomato sauce on it, but I recommend giving it a shot.


Potato Carrot Mold
Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook - 1950 (pg 482)

INGREDIENTS
  • 3 medium potatoes
  • 3 medium carrots
  • 1 cup warm milk
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Pare potatoes and carrots and cook together in boiling salted water until tender; mash.
  2. Add milk, butter, salt, and pepper; beat until fluffy.
  3. Pour into greased casserole and bake in moderate oven (350 F) 20 minutes, or until browned.
  4. Serve with Tomato Sauce.  For 4.


Tomato Sauce
Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook - 1950 (pg 490)

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves, 2 tbsp fat
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Cook tomatoes, onion, and cloves together for 10 minutes. 
  2. Melt fat, add flour, salt, and pepper and blend.
  3. Add tomato mixture and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.
  4. Strain.
  5. Makes 1 cup sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment