Monday, June 22, 2015

Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes

My sister nicely reminded me yesterday that I've been slacking off on this blog.  So I figured I better remedy that quick!


A month or so ago I dug out a recipe my Aunt had written out for my mom for Pork Chops and Scalloped Potatoes. By the looks of the paper, it's been in my mom's possession for quite a while.


To be honest, I didn't use Cream of Chicken Soup. I went across the highway to the market and Cream of Chicken soup was like $3.49 a can or something outstandingly crazy, but they had a sale on Cream of Mushroom for $1.50 or less, I can't really remember now. I thought I had written this all up somewhat before, but I guess I didn't …dang, old age and my failing memory! …so…anyways, I used Cream of Mushroom soup instead.

As a side note, I think my oven was failing then. I think it was cooking at a lower temp than it should of been. It was the next day or so that I went to make biscuits and the oven died completely…I tried cooking the biscuits in a frying pan…not recommended…really, just don't do it :) I should of just froze the dough. *Sigh* Lesson learned :)

Back to the pork chops - the recipe is quite simple and straight forward.

Chop up some onions and slice some potatoes. Have I mentioned before that I really hate onions? I didn't use a lot of them.  Do you like the fancy picture taking, I used my green and white cutting mats and just slid them close together :)


Next layer the potatoes and onions in a greased 9 X 13 dish.


Spread the 2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup over the potatoes and onions.


Costco has the most amazing pork chops. They are so thick that I had to cut them in half (one I cut in 3) just to make them the thickness of regular grocery store pork chops for this recipe, but if you get a chance to get some, definitely try them on the barbeque - so delicious! (and no need to cut them in half) YUM!


Dunk the pork chops in milk and then in seasoned bread crumbs (sage, parsley, and seasoning salt).


Place them on the potatoes and soup, cover with foil and bake for an hour or so at 350 degrees.


Remove foil and bake for another 10 mins or so until pork chops crisp up a bit.


Serve and enjoy. I think this would work with Cream of Chicken, Cream of Potato, Cream of Celery, etc. Pick whichever soup you like. It's a pretty simple recipe to get in the oven after work.

My mom used to make something similar with rice instead of the potatoes. It was basically the same recipe though.


Hopefully this makes my sister happy and she can have some faux Scalloped Potatoes and pork chips with some very real memories :)


2 comments:

  1. Yay! That looks yummy. I need to check out the chops at Costco :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should! It's the best deal on pork chops around and they taste really good.

    ReplyDelete